Up to half of all children are fussy towards food in their first 2 years – it’s a normal part of your toddler’s development.5
Top tips if you have a picky eater
Although most of the time there’s no need to worry about a little fussiness, it is important that your toddler gets the nutrients they need for healthy growth and development. There are a number of things you can try to help ensure they are getting the nutrition they need:6
- Try to offer a choice of foods from a particular food group. If they don’t like one food, another option that they prefer may contain similar levels of nutrients.
- Aim for regular mealtimes – that way your toddler is more likely to be hungry and ready for their meal. Including small healthy snacks through the day may encourage them to eat more at mealtimes.
- Don’t make a fuss if your toddler doesn’t want the meal you offer. Just take it away and offer it later when they’re hungry, rather than give them something different.
- The aim is for your toddler to at least try the food on their plate. Giving it with something you know they do like can help. Don’t give up, as toddlers may need to see a particular food on the plate 10-15 times before being willing to taste it!
- Involve your toddler in shopping, growing, and preparing food. This can help build their interest and enjoyment in food.
If you feel your child doesn’t eat enough at mealtimes, isn’t getting the right nutrients from their food or needs a nutritious snack, you may like to try Novalac Fruits, a premium toddler milk with a real fruit* difference. Novalac Fruits Toddler Milk is a formulated supplementary food for young children aged 1–3 for use as part of a healthy diet when energy and nutrient intake may not be adequate.